You have probably heard the saying live life to the fullest a million times. Haven’t we all? It’s something that we hear so often and so frequently that we strive for it, whether unconsciously or not. It’s something that we pride ourselves on and hope we can inspire others to do, too.
What does it really mean, though?
There isn’t a simple answer because we all have different passions, dreams, and goals for our lives. At the root, though, we all want this same thing – to live life to the fullest.
So, here’s what it looks like – no matter what your aspirations look like.
You Follow Your Passions
Your passion is what makes you feel alive, even better if you have more than one. Whether it’s a dream, a hobby, a goal, or a moment, passion is what makes you leap from bed in the morning, motivates you to keep going no matter what, it is all the things in your life that you just can’t get enough of. Sometimes they grow more profound as we get older or change, sometimes it can be a fleeting passion that introduces you to a new passion. They give you purpose and breathe life into you. When you follow them, you are living your life to the fullest.
You Live A Life That Is Authentic
What does this even mean? Being your true self isn’t something you achieve one day and stop, it’s a continual journey. You grow and learn every day and hopefully, you follow the little voice inside that guides you. You don’t have to be what other people expect you to be or who they tell you to be, in fact, you don’t even have to be the person you think you’re supposed to be. All you need to be is your true self and what you are that, you are living a full life.
You Keep Moving Forward Despite Your Doubts
It’s not easy, no. Your doubts and your fears can crop up at any moment and in any situation. They can keep you locked in place indefinitely and leave you just wishing you had the strength to follow your dreams and become your true self. They hold you back.
You can let them keep holding you back or you can push those doubts aside and jump into your passions headfirst. Life is always going to have scary moments, but the only way you can make the most of it and live it fully is by embracing your fears and pushing past them.
You Live Your Life For You
This tends to be a controversial point, but it isn’t about being selfish or heartless. The truth is that you are the author of your life and this is yours to live and to write. You are the only one who should be deciding what it looks like and it’s up to you to determine how you will be remembered, and whether you listen to your inner-voice or not. If you are truly living your life to the fullest, then you will be living a life that is true to who you want to be. So, forget everyone else’s opinion and live your life so that at the end of each day you can sit back and think, “Yes, I’m proud of what I have achieved today, the lessons I have learned, and who I am.”
For you, living life to the fullest might mean high-jumps on a dirt bike, for someone else it might be parasailing or cliff-diving, to others it could be as simple as helping others.
We all have different wants and wishes, but as long as you are chasing your true wants and wishes then you can confidently say you are truly living your life.
We must always bring ourselves back to finding the deepest and most fundamental meaning of fulfillment, because that is our quest – to live life to its fullest.
Living life to the fullest, means you get everything out of life that you possibly can, whatever that might mean to you.
Once you realize this meaning in your own life, then you can make a plan on how you will get there, after all, there are no results without action.
The Adventurous Life: Living Life To The Fullest
Have you ever noticed that it is the most unlikely people who seem to be living the fullest lives? They may be unlikely, but they tend to have a few things in common… they are passionate, willing to take calculated risks, and they’re willing to experience a bit of failure to get what they want out of life. How do you measure up in comparison to those traits?
You probably walk on the safe side in every situation because it’s how you were raised or it protects you from failure and hurt.
In your younger years, you probably assumed that life was going to provide you with an endless supply of opportunity. Didn’t we all?
Part of putting away childish things and entering adulthood is realizing that nothing in life is guaranteed and it’s up to you to make things happen for yourself.
Regret of how a live is lived life usually does hit people until they get older, get ill, lose a loved one or any life-changing event that rocks your entire world. That regret can really hurt, and is totally avoidable.
“There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” ~ Kevin Welch
The time to action is NOW!! This very moment begin to redesign your life so it is filled with adventure, excitement and all the things that you really want to do.
Live Life To The Fullest
• Stop worrying about the past and stressing about the future, learn how to live in the moment. That doesn’t mean you can’t do a bit of planning for how you can achieve your goals.
• Embrace your present, no matter what it’s throwing at you.
• Figure out what you love and find a way to do it as often as possible, bonus points if you can make a career out of it.
• With forgiveness comes freedom – it’s for your benefit, not the other person.
• Show gratitude for what you have in life, getting up early might feel terrible at the time, but you can appreciate that you have another day to live.
• Spend time in quiet reflection each day.
• Make time to laugh every day, whether it’s with friends or by sitting back watching a comedy.
• Be open and honest in every communication.
• Find your Zen, whether it’s in writing, creating art or just sitting quietly with a book.
• Don’t just watch life pass you by, start taking advantage of the opportunities that come to you.
• Learn how to appreciate the people in your life.
• Find time to do what you enjoy.
• Follow your gut.
• Don’t get too caught up in the small stuff.
• Ask questions.
• Don’t be afraid to walk through the open window if the door has slammed shut.
• Do something that scares you at least once a day.
• Make a budget and include travel and adventure in it so you can grab opportunities as they arise.
• Trust your strengths and learn to see your weaknesses as an opportunity to improve.
• Focus your attention on the day ahead and live life to the full.
Ask yourself what is holding you back from living life how you want? Maybe you hate how much time your work eats up, you don’t spend enough time with your family, or you want to indulge your passions more often.
You only get one life, so you should give it everything you’ve got and enjoy it while it lasts. We can’t predict the future, so take advantage of everything that comes your way. We are all guilty of making excuses for why our lives are the way they are, but the only one who controls how your life unfolds is you.
It’s up to you to find happiness within and make life an adventure everywhere you go and in everything you do.